What seat should I put the car seat in?
The rear middle seat.
Many trustworthy sources have found that the rear middle seat is the safest place in the car because it’s the farthest away from any potential impact.
Why should I trust you?
In doing thorough research on this topic, we found these to be the most useful and factual sources. We recommend reading them if you’d like more in-depth information:
- A 2008 study published in Pediatrics magazine. It concluded that “Children seated in the center rear have a 43% lower risk of injury compared with children in a rear outboard position.”
- A 2008 study published in the Journal of Safety Research. It concluded that “the safest position for any occupant involved in a motor-vehicle crash is the rear middle seat.”
- SafeKids.org’s “Car Seat Tips”
- New York Times article: “Car Seats That Make Sure the Baby on Board is Snug and Safe“
- Mayo Clinic’s “Car seat safety: Avoid 10 common mistakes“