How much sleep do babies need?
There is professional pediatric consensus supporting the below sleep ranges:
- Newborns: 14-17 total hours a day.
- 4-11-month-olds: 12-16 hours.
- 1-2-year-olds: 11-14 hours.
- 3-5-year-olds: 10-13 hours.
- 6-12-year-olds: 9-12 hours.
- 13-18-year-olds: 8-10 hours.
Those numbers are current as of November 2016 and supported by the National Sleep Foundation and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the two leading authorities on the subject in the U.S. The American Academy of Pediatrics supports the figures from AASM.
Why do other websites have different sleep ranges?
They may be out of date. The NSF revised its recommendations significantly in 2015, and the AASM revised its recommendations in 2016. Here are each of their statements on the revisions, which we recommend reading for much more detailed information about how these determinations are made: